A router is a box that goes between the DSL or cable modem and all the devices connected to the Internet. The router basically shares the internet signal between the multiple devices. Every device that is on the internet needs a unique IP address. Let us see how a router works and how to find router’s IP address and login info.
A router accesses the internet through that IP address and the ISP provided with this IP. The router then provides local IP addresses for all devices that are connected to it. These are known as local IP addresses and they are not visible on the internet. As these are not visible on the internet, it provides you with an additional layer of defence.
You can get the IP address from the manufacturer’s documentation or if the network is already set up here’s the way to know your IP address. Windows refer to a router as ‘Default Gateway’. Chrome refers to it as ‘Gateway’, whereas Apple devices call it as ‘Router’. If you are on any Android device, then to know the IP address of your browser, you need to install an app.
How to Find Router’s IP Address and Login For Windows:
If you are using Windows7, 8 or XP, you type ‘ipconfig’ in the command prompt to see the default gateway, but Windows 10 or 8.1 users can follow the below method.
- Open the Control Panel by right-clicking the Start button and selecting “Control Panel”.
- Click on “View network status and tasks” under Network and Internet.
- To the right of “Connections” at the top right corner, click the name of your connection.
- Click on the “Details” button in the window that pops up and look for the router’s IP address to the right of “IPv4 Default Gateway”.
Must Read: how to access 192.168.0.1 IP address Login and Administration
How to Find Router’s IP Address and Login For Mac:
Mac users can follow the below steps to find the IP address.
- Click on the Apple icon on the top left of the screen and select “System Preferences”.
- After you go to system preferences, click on “Network” icon. Here you will get options to select your networks like Wi-Fi or a wired Ethernet connection.
- Select the one you have and click on “Advanced” button at the bottom of the screen.
- Now click on “TCP/IP” tab and your router’s IP address is displayed to the right of “Router”.
In a nutshell, the router allows you to access the Internet from multiple computers through one connection. They also put your computers onto a local network, so you can share files and printers between them. If you want to configure your router, you need to login to it and for logging in you need to know the IP address of the router. There are some routers that can be accessed by names too, but every router can be accessed by its IP address. As all routers have a web-based interface, they are configured with a web browser.